Flickr and Ravelry

You can find me on Flickr and Ravelry as kjsunflower.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Reading and Baking

 Baking today, Toffee Almond Sandie's to be exact. I don't recall where I got this recipe as I've had it for so long. I can tell you they are incredibly delicious, light, delicate cookies. They also are not too bad for you. I do sub some of the white flour with whole wheat white flour since I discovered that recently. Fair warning though, this makes a huge batch. I pulled up a chair, put on Big Love in my laptop and worked on my newest mandala while I waited for each pan to be done. I'll be posting pics of that project in the next couple of days. I'm also trying to finish sewing together a table runner I've been working on. Once I'm done sewing I just need to edge it, then it's off to etsy. 
       Does anyone like the Sookie Stackhouse books? They made the show True Blood from them and I'm waiting (impatiently) for the next season to come out. Right now I can content myself with reading the latest book in the series. Give them a try if you're a reader, they are quite different.
      Anyway, on to the recipe!


    Toffee Almond Sandies
1C. butter (no subs) ,softened
1C. sugar
1C. powdered sugar
1C. vegetable oil
2 eggs
1tsp. almond extract
31/2 C. flour
1C. whole wheat flour
1tsp. baking soda
1tsp. cream of tartar
1tsp. salt
2C. chopped almonds 
1 (6oz.) bag english toffee bits


Cream the butter and the sugars. Add the oil, eggs and almond extract; mix well. Mix together the flours, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Stir in the almonds and toffee bits. Shape into one inch balls, roll in sugar and place on  ungreased baking pans ( I line mine with parchment paper), then flatten slightly with a fork. Bake at 350 for 12 to 14 minutes. Cool one minute on pan then remove to rack. Store in airtight container and enjoy!
I'll be back soon with some crochet pics!

1 comment:

  1. The last time I cooked with almonds was a supposedly fancy mince pie recipe. I was to put ground almonds in the pastry. Boy they were horrid.. far too dry. Put me off almonds but your biscuit look and sound lovely!

    May just be the recipe to try to rid myself of the negative feelings I have of them.

    I have not heard Big Love for years.. Did you meant Fleetwood Mac or Pete Heller., or neither lol

    ReplyDelete